Saturday, July 01, 2006

To ghot or guss?

This post is special, one that I would probably read a few years down the line as well. Last few months have been a bit rough, at most times crazy, but this post is to register this moment, when finally, I think, it has started to get better. Not by any means any big reason to celebrate, but, on incremental basis, may be it's just about getting better.

As I look back at the recent past - last one year or so - there is a bit of learning that I want to pick up before putting it all behind. I will try having a perspective on most things once I am out of this phase of introspection, but there is one thing that comes to my mind as I look at the big picture.

Two extreme words, denoting two ends of thought structure, have started to make equal sense to me. In the past, I have often used these words in a lighter vein, however I am beginning to understand how inter-related these two otherwise polar opposite words are:

Ghot: Originally used for academics, equivalent being 'mug' or simply 'study hard'. In my own lingo, I have used it for any situation that requires some bit of effort and a bit of 'fight'. In cricketing world, ghot is what denotes the way Dravid bats, more so on pitches where it is seaming and bouncing a bit.

Guss: Near synonym of this word is probably "take it easy" and on the extreme side "give up". More importantly, it denotes a bit of attitude, where as an individual, you don't get bogged down by pressure and take it easy.

Exact definition is not as important as the thought and more importantly, a sense of which way to go in pressing circumstances. I have been a big believer of ghot almost all the way through, as there are very strong advantages of being in this mental state:

  1. Success and effort are positively correlated
  2. Having tried hard, is sometimes satisfaction enough when results don't meet expectations

Having mentioned the positives, research has shown that two of the biggest driver of high stress levels are 1) Uncertainty of future 2)Expectation mismatch and I totally agree to this. So, while the state of 'ghot' has all the positives mentioned above, it does result in higher stress levels - probably not a factor to worry or ponder over in normal circumstances, but in extreme situations, stress can get to a region of discomfort.

On the other hand, the mental state of 'guss' has little upside - to not put in effort when external factors favor oneself is nearly criminal. However, when the pendulum has swung the other way, when suddenly success has lesser relevance than immediate instincts of 'hanging in there', then probably 'guss' is not that bad a choice. It would in many ways help in reducing stress levels and probably in being patient enough for better times.

As I confess, I have in more ways than one, though 'ghot' is the way to go. However, as I look back, I think I have started to appreciate the relative importance of 'guss'. Being in a state of 'guss', might have helped me to look at things in a better way, see the lighter side to things probably and that would have made a tough phase rather smooth.

So, is a complete shift required? I look to answer this in the time to come. However, my guess is not. Probably, I need to continue with 'ghot', but make sure that at the back of my mind, I know that 'guss' is probably a way to look at things when the things get tough - if not for long duration of time, atleast short time span spent in state of 'guss' might just help to relax and get the composure back. It's so much about having an option that is like:

If externalities > threshold of being good, then 'ghot', else 'guss' for sometime and ghot again!

However, I continue to look for a better solution to this riddle... for now, gusssss... as I get back to the song I have been listening all day - "It's been a while" by Staind

1 comment:

Maharaj said...

thats a good song isnt it? ;)
well...as a guy who is in guss most of the time, i can tell you...its easy alright...no tension, your skin will glow all the time. but there are many times when i felt, i should ghot more...for long term benefits. finally, i say, ghoting is more important than gussing...but if a guy cant guss, then he is doomed to hairloss and premature wrinkles and an early divorce. amen.